The Beanstalks That Have Brought Us Here Are Gone, the new album by Nick Jaina, features songs Nick wrote and recorded with different women singing the lead vocals. Nick’s voice doesn’t appear anywhere on the album, but his sensibilities are spread throughout. This album’s songs were written during the songwriting period for Jaina’s previous album, A Bird in the Opera House. Nick Jaina is signed to Hush Records (Decemberists, Loch Lomond).
He has also just finished scoring a ballet in New York City for a project involving dancers from the New York City Ballet and singers from Julliard School of Music. That project, a trilogy called Satellites Become Us, charts the progress of a fracturing relationship from the earth into the heavens and is debuting on August 11th at the Dogwood Performing Arts Center in Fremont, MI, although a special NYC-area event will be planned as well (for more on that project, see this great article: http://wweek.com/portland/blog-20471-nick_jaina_writes_music_for_a_ballet.html).
Here is the tracklist for The Beanstalks That Have Brougth Us Here Are Gone:
1. When the Blind Man Rings That Bell, featuring Kaylee Cole
2. You Were So Good To Me, featuring Jolie Holland
3. Once But Never Again, featuring Luzelena Mendoza from Y La Bamba
4. Whiskey Riddle, featuring Annalisa Tornfelt from Black Prairie
5. James, featuring Johanna Kunin
6. The President of the Chess Club, featuring Amanda Spring from Point Juncture WA
7. Ortolan, featuring Myshkin
8. Missing Awhile, featuring Corrina Repp from Tu Fawning
9. Awake When I’m Sleeping, featuring Audie Darling
10. No One Gives Their Heart Away, featuring Laura Gibson
Pick it up at your local independent music retailer!